Wednesday, March 28, 2012

BTW One More Thing I Don't Understand


Jesus said: “Whatever you ask in my name I will do, so that the Father may be glorified by the Son. If you ask me for anything in my name, I will do it.” John 14: 13-14

The Big Idea is that the Father is to be glorified.  It’s not about our happiness.  Or advancing the Kingdom.  Or justice.

There was nothing just about happiness in the pig story.  The herders were unhappy.  The pigs were unhappy.  And um, I don’t think the big point was to make the demons happy.  But Jesus listened to their pleas.  What is that all about? 

And the Kingdom? The townspeople didn’t fall on their knees and repent.  They didn’t sit down in groups of ten to receive teaching. They begged Jesus to get the heck out of there.  And He left.  

And there was certainly nothing just or fair about this moment.  Here were some simple folk, quietly minding their own business, their pig herd, and while it’s great that this poor demon-possessed guy got his right mind back, was it really necessary to destroy the livelihood with which these innocent bystanders supported their wives and children?  And, on top of that, there are quite a few Voelkel stories about run-ins with the very same demons, years and miles away, tormenting other souls, with the conversation ending up in wild pig squealings.   What is fair about that?  Not so sure I understand this God of ours.

But it has something to do with the last closing shot, the solid conclusion with a action image.  Jesus instructed the man, saying, “Return to your home, and declare how much God has done for you.”  And he went away, proclaiming to the whole city how much Jesus had done for him.  

Things to notice: the hear and obey aspect that will produce fruit; the barely discernible but crystal clear equation of God = Jesus by the man as he marched off in obedience, and that the Big Idea is accomplished: the Father was glorified.  

These are the truths that need to frame my prayers, as I wait upon the LORD.  Not my will, but Your will be done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment