Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Empty Bellies


The ungodly go to and fro in the evening; they snarl like dogs and run about the city. They forage for food and if they are not filled, they howl. For my part, I will sing of your strength; I will celebrate your love in the morning; For you have become my stronghold, a refuge in my day of trouble. To you, O my Strength, will I sing; for you, O God, are my stronghold and my merciful God. Psalm 59:16-20

The big problem is that so often this going to and fro like the ungodly looks like me, scrapping and snuffling about, with a good bit of grumbling and muttering under my breath.  Protecting myself, watching out for myself, with a low growl in my throat.  Leaning on my own understanding.  

What freedom and joy comes from releasing all of that, and resting in the shadow of His wing.  But it is a choice, an “I will” statement that leads me there.  I will sing of your strength. I will celebrate your love.  

That was my discipline of the week.  The song part.  To fill the empty moments into which the “me” thoughts tumble in.  Choosing to sing up and down the dark road. Choosing a merry heart.  Back to Brother Lawrence: Useless thoughts spoil all; mischief begins there. We ought to reject them as soon as we perceive their impertinence and return to our communion with God.

torre fuerte es el nombre del señor
  torre fuerte es el nombre del señor.
a el correra el justo
  y levantado sera.

Yep.  Funny how those little steps of obedience lead to joy.  And it is not a silly joy made up in our head.  This is a joy based on what is true, a stronghold. A powerful, healthy, vibrant, victorious joy.  Busting through the tape at the end of the race sort of joy.  Much better than foraging in the garbage cans of life.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment