Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Strangled Joy


Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.  Matthew 5: 23, 24

Jesus obviously takes this reconciliation thing seriously.  Following the law is not about rules.  It is about the heart.  And here it is very clear that it is our priority- before even worship and before even repentance, to straighten out relationships.  We are to initiate the process.  As far as you are able, be at peace with all men says straight up that this is not about half-hearted attempts or “Well, I tried to talk to him,” but as far as you are able- with all humility, creativity and persistence.  A flat-out command, like, don’t even bother to come and worship me unless you have taken care of this. 

Do not let the root of bitterness and brokenness take root in your heart and strangle out all joy, peace and even love.  Once again, this teaching reminds us that we demonstrate our love to God by how we love His very tangible people.  “Measurable outcomes,” as I head off to my teachers’ conference.

And of course, reconciliation.  That is what led Him to the cross.  Not something to brush aside or paper over with platitudes. Serious business.  

Show me your ways, O LORD, and teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; in you have I trusted all the day long.  Psalm 25: 3, 4

No comments:

Post a Comment