Monday, July 30, 2012

Reaching for the wall


Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in Him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue; for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God. John 12:42

And why pray tell is this true?  I certainly know with my brain that praise from man is ethereal, wispy, evaporating in the morning sun as so much Arizona dew, so transitory as to be of absolute no value.

And yet.  So very often I catch my heart making a sideways glance.  Is anyone noticing?  

There were mixed reviews on the John O’Hair sermon yesterday, but one thing stuck out: No man can serve two masters.  And I have all of those lovely Olympian images of beautiful people fixed on one goal, which drives the symmetry, grace and strength.  But with the merest sideways glance, all is lost.  s

Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. Unstable in all his ways.

And if I truly believed with all of my heart, soul and mind, there would be no hesitation.  

LORD, help my unbelief.  

No comments:

Post a Comment