Friday, August 31, 2012

How long? How long must we sing this song?


He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by His own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” Acts 1:6-7

Like the rest of the disciples, I would really like to know the times and seasons.  For example, “What in the heck is going on, Jesus?”  Why is this happening?  How does it fit into the big picture? And of course, most of all, “When, dear LORD, when?”

But it is not for me to know.  But He has said what is for me in the unrolling drama.  To live in the promised power of the Spirit.  To be attune to His voice and to His movement.  Whatever that looks like.  And to be a witness.  Here. There.  Everywhere.  Day in and day out.  That is my job.  A witness of what I have seen.

Not so much the tales of yesteryear, the Reader’s Digest version of oh so many years ago and so far away.  But my experience of God come among man.  What have I lived worked out in my life.  Not the theoretical.  Thus it behooves me to consider.  To notice.  To articulate.  And to be a witness.  Without nervous flickers or apologies.  In my own words.  Swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment