Friday, August 10, 2012

Out front with the broken drawers and splintered particle board


If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.  John 15:6

It is Brush and Bulky trash pickup next week, so the heaps are beginning to build in front of the houses along the street. Chopped out prickly pear cactus, armloads of dry grassy weeds and most of all spiny mesquite branches. Personally I can wax eloquently about the honey mesquite with its darkly curving boughs twisting upward echoed by strong roots reaching downward, sucking up every last drop of water. But once it’s chopped, it is only good for the fire.  Well, that’s what I think.  The weeks building up to Brush and Bulky are always a little tense around the Voelkel compound, as different family members define “useless and good for nothing” differently.  The pile out front is smaller than some of us would like after others have sifted through it hopefully.  And the beat goes on.

However, things are perfectly clear here.  If the branch is not connected to the vine, it cannot produce fruit.  And it is useless and good for nothing.  And while discussions can spin around about eternity security and “If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames” the big point of the story is the fruit.  The “faith without works is dead,” point.  

Thus, the Spirit reminds me that if the love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, meekness, temperance, faith is lacking, I need to do something about it.  Immediately.  Drop my nets, drop my tax table, drop my serving dishes.  

Abide.

Like the Israelites before me, I am a stiff-necked people.  And like Moses, I ask, “If your Presence does not go with me, do not send me up from here.” 

And the LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”

Abide.


If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15:7-11

And joy.  Joy is the point of abiding.  In full.  

No comments:

Post a Comment