Thursday, August 16, 2012

Shall I crucify your King?


Pilate said to him, “What is truth?”  John 18:38

Well, I know one thing—we are up to our nostrils in non-truth.  Standing on tip toe.  And while studies show that we only listen to that stuff that supports what we already believe, deep down, surely I can recognize the cow manure piling up in big stenching heaps on every street corner.  

But recognizing it and not stepping in it are two different things.  And I wander about with stuff stuck to my shoes, every footstep tainted.

Pilate knew what was true, and he weakly flailed a protest.    
“I find no guilt in him.” John 18:38
“I find no guilt in him.” John 19:4
“I find no guilt in him.” John 19:6

But when it got right down to the moment of decision, of action, he gave into the crowds, the immediate, the expedient.  

It’s all about being a friend of Caesar.  

On so many fronts I find myself ducking the truth just to make nice, to get along, to get where I want to go, quietly and with my head down.

Dear LORD may I speak truth today, not quietly murmuring it under my breath, but boldly and with good cheer because my eyes are on you and not the restless crowds.  On Monday evening God was saying to those who were listening: What is it to you?  Lucy rising in the dark night because Aslan was calling.  

That You may be glorified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment