Saturday, September 8, 2012

En los enfanes


Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Matthew 11:28

But you, O LORD my God, oh, deal with me according to your Name; for your tender mercy’s sake, deliver me. For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.  Psalm 109:20

Every night, after all the chores are settled, I read Zorro by Isabel Allende out loud in the attempt to build up my Spanish fluency and comprehension which has sadly faded over the years.  

There is a mysterious Indian woman who arrives without warning whenever there is overwhelming hurt or pain or impeding death.  She arrives, opens up her bags of spices and ointments and dried leaves and in silence goes about her business, ignoring all wailing and fussing and hopelessness.  One, two, three, one, two, three.  

The priest Mendoza is a good man who tries to do right.  He prays, he gardens, he takes care of his neófitos, but it’s never quite enough.  The termites devour the wood and the cathedral roof caves in.  But Dios hizo un milagro, y cuando por fin lo extrajeron de las ruinas, todavía respiraba.  And once again, He proves trustworthy.  

And yesterday Sue and I reminded ourselves of the truth.  That joy is the measurement of trust.  There is a direct correlation between release of life’s burden to Him who is able, and the lightness in our footstep.  

Therefore, Holy Spirit, I release my burdens.  You alone have the perspective of love and power to bear them.  Cause me to rest in You and You alone.  Help me to live lightly, knowing that from You comes laughter and freedom and compassion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment