Monday, September 10, 2012

Swatting gnats


We appeal to you, my brothers, to be considerate to those who work so hard among you as your leaders in the Lord and those who admonish you. Have the greatest respect and affection for them because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. We urge you, brothers, to admonish those who are undisciplined, encourage the apprehensive, support the weak and be patient with everyone. Make sure that people do not try to repay evil for evil; always aim for what is best for each other and for everyone. Always be joyful; pray constantly; and for all things give thanks; this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. I Thessalonians 5:12–18

I have certainly been struggling with judging and impatience with those who are leaders in the LORD.  Here we are told to esteem them very abundantly in love because of their work.  

And really and truly, there is plenty of things here to keep me so busy I don’t have time to fuss about whether someone else is doing his job properly, albeit that some of my activity could be considered admonishing the undisciplined.  But the key word is “admonish.”  Do something about it, not just fretting, fussing, and complaining.  Be clear, be specific, and then drop it.  It now not my responsibility, but that of the leader.  I did my part and I need to move on to encouraging, supporting and being patient.  With an overarching canopy of peace to protect us from the outside blasts.  

And then there’s a few more things on my to do list.  Funny how it isn’t so much a lists of Thou Shall Nots but something else is supposed to mark the brotherhood: joy, prayer and a thankful heart.  

The beams in my own eye, while I am fretting about the schedules and follow-through gnats in the eyes of others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment