Thursday, October 18, 2012

I always loved dissecting the tendons on a chicken wing


Till you know that the Most High rules the kingdom of men and gives it to whom He will.  Daniel 4:17

He will be known.  

That was my favorite part about being a science teacher.  Well, besides the fact that kids actually liked coming to my class because who would know what was going to happen, whether it was pacing off Pluto down Speedway if the sun was a yellow balloon tied on the front gate, dumping out the garbage bins and weighing and recording the waste, making parachutes for eggs to toss off the gym, carrying small insects in their habits (I had a black widow that laid fourteen egg sacs and took out someone’s preying mantis in the big show down) around with us for seven days and making 490 separate observations (and Mrs. Van Egmond made a bunch of quarters babysitting crickets and snails and lizards during recess), or even, maybe if we were lucky, getting both the fire and police department at the same time because of our dry ice experiments.  My real favorite part, well, I also liked telling the kids the truth, that they were my great big old science experiment, trying to figure out the best way to get them to think like scientists.  So, anyways, my REAL favorite part was peeling back layer after layer of His dominion.  I taught at a very small, rather humble middle school, who had one (me) science teacher for all grades, all subjects: Geology, Astronomy, Ecology, Physics, Biology, Chemistry.  So, that meant I had to study and prepare all day Saturday every Saturday and take a jillion classes at the University and figure all of this out.  And awe, true and unadulterated awe overwhelmed me.

The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
Day to day pours out speech,
and night to night reveals knowledge.
There is no speech, nor are there words,
whose voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out through all the earth.

And at last Nebuchadnezzar, lifted his eyes to heaven, and his reason returned to him, and he blessed the Most High, and praised and honored Him who lives forever.

Mateo wrote me this morning, well, he wrote me sometime and I read it this morning, and he is somewhere in Europe with sixty people, playing the violin nine hours a day.  And he wrote: touch, see, know, hear. YES. I do agree. We need a world view of Truth... everyday... I am so obvious sometimes... keeping repeating the same things like a child, always surprised about the same things.

And yes, the childlike things.  I remember bouncing in the back of a pickup truck on one of our many trips back and forth and back and forth from Mexico to Tucson to Mexico.  This time with Paul Shabaz.  And he asked me how I could believe.  And I remember looking at my hand, that could open wide and wiggle fingers and then close up tight into a fist and touch and feel and heal.  And I knew.  He is.  

And what, twenty-five years later I still marvel.  I am still surprised at the wonders of my hand.  And that is just the beginning. 

Bless the Most High, may His name be praised and honored forever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment