Friday, October 5, 2012

Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul


“When I get an opportunity I will summon you.” 
When two years had elapsed, Felix was succeeded by Porcius Festus. And desiring to do the Jews a favor, Felix left Paul in prison.  Acts 24:26-27

Perhaps I leap into things too quickly.  But it sure seems like most of the world sits around twiddling their thumbs while the world is crashing around them.  People are hungry today; why do we have to sit around and discuss it and think of maybe assigning committees and then pray about it and then draw up a tentative plan and then let it rest a while and then meet and finalize and then have everyone think about what their role will be and when should we start and the beginning of the school year or the fall break or the holiday season is upon us so let’s put if off until after that.  And does anyone want to go out for ice cream afterwards?

I bet wiggle worm Paul was trying to figure out the big chunks of pause in his life.

And so he hung out with friends, and waited.  Maybe he wrote a little, who knows.  According to the charts, he wasn’t writing letters.  And he waited.   And waited.

How do I use my wait time?  Churning and grinding?  Or do I use it to my advantage, strengthening my weakness, burnishing my strengths. Do I fall asleep?   Am I alert and of a circumspect mind?  Looking all around and ready to move, should the signal come?

So last night I read through Christianity Today’s cover story, “50 Women to Watch.”  Very cool stuff for the kingdom inspiring youngsters in the classrooms of Detroit, tooling around the African savannas, peering through massive telescopes trained on the skies, or tromping through the mud of the family farm and then counting up to a thousand.   And I wash up the few dishes cluttering the counter, sweep the popcorn off the floor and head off to another day of answering the phones and placing coordinators in activity subgroups.

Such are chunks.  And it is a good thing to be circumspect.  And to listen to the farmwife counting thousands of things, like the sun glinting off of the clouds if I sit up very straight in my desk as I look out the window.  And actually, I am grateful for the tick of the clock, dink, dink, dink, marking the moments, the gifts of life.

It is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment