Friday, November 30, 2012

Mama always had a way of explaining things so I could understand them.


He that doeth these things shall never be moved.  Psalm 15:5

Our actions have consequences.  And living a good decent life of grace and integrity pays off.  It’s not a promise of gold gilt wealth and fame, rather it’s a sturdy contentedness.  Pretty straightforward, cross-cultural descriptors: walk uprightly, speak truth, backbite not, don’t bear grudges, condemn what is vile, praise what honors God, keep your promises even if it hurts, and don’t make money from the poor or innocent.  

We told Giovanni that part of American Thanksgiving traditions was watching old happy movies together; I was thinking along the lines of It’s a Wonderful LIfe, but he chose Forrest Gump.  But really it’s the same thing.  Being faithful in the small things: I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is.  

And as that last feather floats over the garden and trees we all know that we have been reminded about what is good and true, and who will not be moved no matter what the circumstances.  A sturdy contentedness.  

 Little Forrest, he's doing just fine. About to start school again soon. I make his breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. I make sure he combs his hair and brushes his teeth every day. Teaching him how to play ping pong. He's really good. We fish a lot. And every night, we read a book.

And it’s kind of silly, but a little encouraging.  So today, as I was bringing up the rear of yet another kick set on swim team, the lane leader made a declaration.  You know everyone, I thought of a nickname for Christy.  And I winced inside, because I am the very worst swimmer in the lane in every sense of the word and most of the comments directed at me have to do with the need for me to lengthen my stroke and to not look at the bottom of the pool when I do my flip turns even if it keeps water from going up my nose and that sort of thing.  Sunshine.  We’re going to call her Sunshine.  

Which as I said is kind of silly, but really when faced with a pretty crabby coach every morning and sometimes the cement is icy and I’m always a little bit behind and sometimes I even get lapped, but I am always there, every morning at 5:25 a.m., and I guess that is what counts sometimes.  Whenever I look at her she is smiling no matter what and it makes me happy. Kick sets are when I am praying for everyone, so of course I am smiling. A sturdy contentedness is what we have been promised. 

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment