Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Really not wanting to clump with the fools


Hold up my goings in Thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. I have called upon Thee, for Thou wilt hear me, O God.  Psalm 17:5-6 

There are bunches of things that I do not know– particularly things like five-year or ten-year plans.  I am struggling to wrap my head around the next month of calendar events, unable to imagine how it will unfold.  However is one thing that I can say with simple confidence– one conversation with myself that I have walked out all the way to the end: with my whole heart I can say, Hold up my goings in Thy paths.  I have reached the point of no return.  I have absolutely no interest in any other path.  

As Pastor Chris rolled into the Christmas season with yet another rendition of Matthew, I was struck by foolish Herod. Here was this classic wheeler-dealer (does that term come from used car salesmen?) who darn well believed in the ancient (re: 750 year-old prophecy) Micah words enough that he was willing to send in soldiers to murder his future tax base, but how in the heck did he think he was going outsmart the One who held both history and hearts of man in the palm of His hand?  And those foolish high priests and teachers of the law also whipped out the correct jot and tittle but had zero inclination or curiosity to go check out Bethlehem.  Here was a pack of fools who knew what was True in their heads, but their hearts said that there was no God.  

My head is way too full of eyewitness accounts of God answering through the mist of my calls.  Really only one breakthrough the material laws that bind us into unbelief would be proof of the other worldly, but my path is littered with the revealed hand of the Almighty–voices speaking out of corn fields, vision rolling out on the wall, cars running on empty through the night, multiplying peanut butter sandwiches, smashed bones wrapping themselves up in healthy flesh, yep my head gets it.  

And my heart does too.  I I can join in with David, Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing. Perhaps the flesh is weak. It will waver and mutter. And the turns are many and unexpected.   But with that said and very done, I will step out on the path. Really and truly As the hart panteth and the parched thirsty land my heart yearns for the water brooks. And like that ol’ desert, I perk right up straight and tall and with a little bounce in my step after slaking my thirst.  

 And my footsteps slip not.  For Thou wilt hear me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment