Friday, January 18, 2013

sometimes you can see the stars shining overhead through the fog


O Lord, who is like You, delivering the poor from him who is too strong for him, the poor and needy from him who robs him? Psalm 35:10

Our souls cry out for justice in a world strife with injustice.  Does He hear, does He see, or did He simply start this ball rolling and step back to let us tear into each other with our behavioristic claws?   

I have been reading this story, of the LORD stepping in: 
One night the only food my wife and I had was a small portion of macaroni. My wife prepared it very nicely. Then one of her friends knocked on the door. I told myself, The macaroni is not sufficient for even the two of us, so how will it be enough for three of us? But because we have no other custom, we opened the door, and she came in to eat with us.

While we were eating, the macaroni started to multiply; it became full in the bowl. I suspected that something was wrong with my eyes, so I started rubbing them. I thought maybe my wife hid some macaroni under the small table, so I checked, but there was nothing. My wife and I looked at each other, but because the guest was there we said nothing.

Afterward I lay down on the bed, and as I slept, Isa came to me and asked me, "Do you know who multiplied the macaroni?" I said, "I don't know." He said, "I am Isa al Masih. If you follow me, not only the macaroni but your life will be multiplied."

And the sweetness of his story mingled with the equally bitter bits fills me with hope.  That perhaps the headline “A Desert Cold and Wet Multiplies the Misery of Syrian Refugees” has more nuance than shutting my mouth up quick about scraping ice off my windshield and my cold fingers and my dead sweet pepper plant outside my front door.  Me, me, me.

Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? 

And may I too step, following Your footsteps, into the gap.  And not grow weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment