Friday, February 22, 2013

Catching snowflakes on my tongue


They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink... Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them. Psalm 69:21, 24

And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar... Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. Luke 23:34

And forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. And don't let us yield to.temptation, but deliver us from evil.  Luke 11:4

There have been long chunks of time where I pretty much wallowed in the deep mire of Psalm 69. Waiting for “an acceptable time,” when God would get around to saving me, for the waters had come in unto my soul.  And really it is perfectly reasonable thing to do, when life’s injustices roll over like a flood– to list the wrongs done me, cross my arms and wait for God to step in and do His thing, speedily.  Straighten everything out, that is.  

But Jesus shows me a better way.  While the spit was still dribbling down his cheek, He asked His Father to forgive them.  

Spirit, strengthen me.  Do not let me yield to temptation.  Deliver me from this evil.  The thick black mud of unforgiveness.  And before I will praise the name of God with a song, let me leave my gift there in front of the altar and first go and be reconciled to my brother; then come and offer my gifts.  Reconciled, washed away snow-on-the-Catalina-mountains clean with the blood of Calvary.  Nary a hint of memory.  Never to recite again.  

And as much as I appreciate the rhythms and disciplines of life, this newfound joy comes from the release, dropping the burdens that I was hauling, the great weight pressing down every footstep, at the cross.  

And you must show mercy to those whose faith is wavering.  Jude 1:22

No comments:

Post a Comment