Thursday, March 7, 2013

Every round goes higher, higher


Blessed are those whose strength is in You,    whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Bitterness,    they make it a place of springs;    the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength,    till each appears before God in Zion. Psalm 84:5-7

This has pretty much been my heart’s verse for the past, maybe ten years.  It is a declaration of God’s faithfulness to provide joyous, bubbling up refreshment in the midst of life and her hardships.  And in this very same valley of granite boulders strewn across sandy gravel that doesn’t particularly make for firm footholds or long strides, His miraculous rhythm of seasons produces bountiful harvests of growth and beauty, in His time.  

In His time.  Grumble, grumble. Why does this journey have to be so very long, so very bound up in earthly time, slow second after slow second.  While is it very true that sometimes His hand reaches in and takes a situation and instantly molds it into restoration, seldom is that the case.  And even with the healing, there is still the rest of life waiting with its “If it ain’t one thing, it’s another” mantra.  The journey continues, from strength to strength.  

So I have been doing some thinking these days as I consider heading back into the world of Desert Christian after six years abroad.  How have I changed, how have I grown.  Why did this pilgrimage wend through the feral world of snarling Wildcats and into the rather staid world of ACSI Math Olympics and annual accreditation reports to perhaps end up again at the brightly blue ex-tennis courts nestled between the city dump and the fire station.  Other than it is handy to be smack next to the fire station when one’s students are conducting dry ice experiments?  

So, and yes that is certainly a change for Mrs. English Teacher who very firmly crossed out every single leading “So” and “Then” on every single paper for many many years.  I imagine many a budding author still winces every time (he, she, he or she, they) pick(s) up a pen.  So, I worked the word “scaffolding” into my job application this time around. A word I never learned before, but now it is part of my worldview.  

My first year at Wildcat left me sputtering helplessly.  Those blank round eyes had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.  We spoke a different language.  It sort of helped to read some glorious piece of literature or give an impassioned pet peeve speech.  But not really.  There was a huge gap between reality and the goal.

Until I found out about scaffolding.  Deliberately building in rungs on the ladder up.  And little bit by little bit, as I added more and more steps, understanding and skill and growth and trust were all built in as well.  And we collectively climbed to the top.  Until at last these kids could hit the same rubrics that I had used on the eastside, reading-since-they-were-four kids.  And it was a huge ah ha moment for me.  I am all about scaffolding.

God is all about scaffolding too.  As he stares down in love at his blank round-eyed children who have absolutely no idea what He is talking about.  I heard Robbie Dawkins a couple of weeks ago talk about this.  Robbie is a guy who travels all around the world and walks up to people on the street and says, “Hey, can I pray for you?” And legs lengthen, eyes open, and backs straighten up tall.  And he said that the Big Instant Healings are mostly God saying, “Hey, I am here, all powerful, and I love you.  I love you a lot.”  They are not about leap-frogging over the sloughs. No catapults to the Promised Land.  

They get our attention and set us on the pilgrimage. 

This pilgrimage of climbing Jacob’s Ladder.  Higher, higher.  The intentional journey set out by the LORD God Creator of the Universe. Becoming like Jesus, one rung at a time.  And He meets us with springs and autumn rains, and He is there to provide strength to strength when we just don’t think we can take another step.  

We are climbing Jacob's ladder,
We are climbing Jacob's ladder,
We are climbing Jacob's ladder,
Soldiers of the cross.

Every round goes higher, higher,
Every round goes higher, higher,
Every round goes higher, higher,
Soldiers of the cross.

Sinner, do you love my Jesus?
Sinner, do you love my Jesus?
Sinner, do you love my Jesus?
Soldiers of the cross.

If you love Him, why not serve Him?
If you love Him, why not serve Him?
If you love Him, why not serve Him?
Soldiers of the cross.

LORD how great Thou art. How pure and beautiful and life-giving is Your word. How loving and real and tangible is Your presence. Guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus. Fill my soul with Your Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment