Saturday, March 30, 2013

Good Friday indeed


And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” And he said to him,“Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” Luke 23:42-43

So last night there was a combined service at the Vineyard with Epicenter. And first of all we were served the most simple of baked potatoes piled high with the most amazing of flavors– crispy chorizo, simmered mushrooms and avocado hearts, curried vegetables, chunks of bacon, Greek yogurt– the choice was ours.  The gathered community of individuals united by His love. Our quite extended family stretched out on the Dondé está Spot quilt as the sifting rosy gold sunset roiled overhead, amongst the olive trees.

We entered as directed in silence to the front pew section, into a reflection of both the horror and beauty of that terrible night, the fulcrum of justice and grace. The music swirled into a giant tidal wave that bathed my soul in its depth and power.  

And once again we were reminded of Him in whose steps we follow.  Even in the midst of physical torture in which each sucking breath burned, even in the midst of emotional heartbreak–the turning of the back by the beloved Father, even in the midst of spiritual destruction as the full brunt of sin and justice fell upon His shoulders, He noticed.  And paused.  And saw.  In love. 

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. I am not bound by my humanity with all of it broken limitations.   May Christ live in me.  With love and mercy, proffered in His amazing grace.  How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.  

Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment