Friday, March 15, 2013

Set, set, spike


Because he hath set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known My name. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. Psalm 91:14-15

What does it mean to set my love upon God?

“Set my love” reminds me of one of the most heart-gripping moments in Scripture, At that time, He set his face towards Jerusalem.  A decision.  A decision made at several levels.  There is the cool-eyed rational moment, for this I came decisions, this is what I know to be true decisions– I am stepping onto this path no matter where it leads decisions.  

And then there are take-control-of-every-thought-so-you-can-pray decisions, over and over throughout the day– irrespective of crabby people zagging through traffic, descending clouds of dreariness, sleep deprivation, surges of covetness, unjustice blared in the headlines– whatever, take control of every thought throughout the day.  

And every thought throughout the night– the restless tossing, the blurry unnamed nightmares, the drifting longings– so that you can pray.  Lifting it all, opening it all to the Father of Lights with whom there is no shifting shadow, in trust and in confidence.  I know His name.  Wonderful.  Almighty God. Counselor. Prince of Peace.  

And because I have set my love upon Him, my tripping-over-my-own-feet stumbling sort of love– He will be with me. He will deliver me.  He will set me on high.

Set. Set.  Spike.  

No comments:

Post a Comment