Monday, April 15, 2013

One more taste of sweetness


The works of the Eternal are many and wondrous!
    They are examined by all who delight in them.
His work is marked with beauty and majesty;
    His justice has no end.
His wonders are reminders that
    the Eternal is gracious and compassionate to all. Psalm 111:2-4


Which story do you prefer? Which is the better story? … And so it goes with God. 

I was definitely too tired last night to grasp the metaphysical implications. After a low-key but determined cleaning-up-after-the-party mode of returning the two backyards to some sort of normal status, we gathered around leftover deliciousness that we had been too busy to enjoy the night before and Alan and Gio’s amazing hot salad with tofu and cilantro dressing, packed with just-picked garden greens and then, the freezer is chock-full of six flavors of leftover gelato from the gelato stand so of course we all had to taste each one.  And then maybe just one more bite.  Or two. After all that we watched Life of Pi.  I didn’t fall asleep, which everyone guessed would really happen barely after the credits rolled. Rather I was swept into the many and wondrous works of the Eternal.  

I was smack up close to examining His works... laying on the couch right under the projection wall. Sloths hung, monkeys swung. Snakes slithered, and um, meercats dithered.

And as the camera swept over the teeming masses of image-bearers who are beloved, with all of their colors and scents and sounds, my soul swelled with joy in this graciousness and compassion to all. And as the camera swept over the shimmering ocean’s mingling with the horizon of swirling heaps of clouds and the rising and falling dance of the sun and the moon and the stars, my soul filled with song, which will carry with me through the day.

Your love, oh Lord
Reaches to the heavens
Your faithfulness stretches to the sky
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains
Your justice flows like the ocean's tide
I will lift my voice
To worship You, my King
I will find my strength
In the shadow of your wings

I will find my strength in the shadow of your wings.

Selah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment