Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Little ones to Him belong

Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him, and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. Acts 16:2

Paul really meant it when he said that For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. He became all things to all men. Thus it is very important to carefully consider the strengths and weaknesses of each culture to whom he preached the gospel when reading his letters.  He was clearly not setting up universal guidelines for the Church, but demonstrating what it meant to be a servant to all. Although, it was actually Mr. Timothy who paid the uncomfortable price, to be all things to all men.

This works both ways.  First when I am speaking of Jesus to those who do not know Him it is worthy to not be distracted by the jot and tittle, the arguing over the political and philosophical minutiae.  Keep the message focused on the love of God and the forgiveness of sins through Jesus.  

And when I am speaking to my brothers and sisters in Christ, it is worthy to not be distracted by the jot and tittle, the arguing over the political and philosophical minutiae.  Keep the message focused on the love of God and the forgiveness of sins through Jesus.  

 I imagine that complexity of doctrine and wondering what people thought about him and wanting to depend on his own good works were the besetting sins that Paul battled.  The sort of things that I battle.  But Mr. O’Reilly had it right: KISS.  So simple that even a child can understand.

Jesus loves me! This I know, 
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong; 
They are weak, but He is strong.

Jesus loves me! This I know, 
As He loved so long ago, 
Taking children on His knee, 
Saying, "Let them come to Me."

Jesus loves me still today, 
Walking with me on my way, 
Wanting as a friend to give
Light and love to all who live.

Jesus loves me! He who died
Heaven's gate to open wide; 
He will wash away my sin, 
Let His little child come in.

Yes, Jesus loves me! 
Yes, Jesus loves me! 
Yes, Jesus loves me! 
The Bible tells me so.

Dear LORD may I be tender to Your Spirit, the gentle prodding to hear and speak how You hear and speak.  In my weakness, You are made strong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment