Saturday, October 19, 2013

The highways and byways


Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests. Matthew 22:9-10

Yet again. Facebook is a lot like the work of God: pretty much always undignified and messy and loud sometimes. This morning I saw a cold, blustered Frederic standing on a bridge with 84 likes, and Luci Shaw the poet’s new tattoo.  A once little girl from the Dominican Republic posted a quote by Corrie ten Boom about worry emptying today of its strength and her sister posted The American Vision: a biblical world view ministry about how 500,000,000 charismatics are not only going to hell, they are destined for especially hot blazes. Folks cheering sundry soccer teams and the St. Louis Cardinals and a photo of Heidi Baker cuddling a once-blind-now-I-see baby in a remote African bush town. A young man in Stockholm needs someone to cut his hair and a girl is Phoenix is looking for a roommate. An Amazing Gift received by a previous student, and yet another asking for someone to Skype or facetime because Friday nights can be long and lonely.

And not a drop of indignation.

Because this Scripture reminds me of two tasks that I have been given that can more than fill my heart and mind.

One, as his servant, I am to go out and call those invited to the great wedding feast of the Son of the King. And when they are too busy and distracted with what is not essential I am to go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame. And since there is still yet room, I am to also go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that the house may be filled.

Two, and perhaps even more importantly, I want to be ready, paying attention. I do not want to be making excuses, lest I be found unworthy: The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.’

And I think that the next little story is related, that of paying taxes to Cesar. So very much of this stuff, the money stuff, the doctrine stuff, the political stuff, the stuff stuff, is about this world. Let me release all that, let go, and render to God what is His: me.

And let me be about my Father’s business.

No excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment