Friday, July 11, 2014

And she was the only one who ever called me "Christine," printed neatly across the top of my paper

Enséñanos a contar de tal modo nuestros días,
que traigamos al corazón sabiduría. Salmo 90,12

So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts to wisdom. Psalm 90:12

So today Andres sent me an article that he read that kind of sums up his new life gifted to him by a loving God on his birthday. And the leg that is steadily healing is not the big thing in his life. The big thing is the wisdom that came from repentance, from receiving a new mind, or wisdom.

And the story is about a man who died early… leaving a wife and two children and the remnants of the business that eventually killed him from stress. His brain exploded. And this dead man, much like the rich man in the story of Jesus, longed to tell the truth to his family and friends: Only three of these will remain hope, faith and love. And the greatest of these is love.

And sometimes, like way too often, I succumb to the melodious middle tones of NPR in the background, and the black and white crinkle of the newspaper that Jack leaves on the dining room table each morning because we now share a subscription, and the clever little posts on Facebook by friends and almost-friends alike, and I start to think that all of this is important. And falling apart and worthy of anger, fear and despair.

But that is a lie, created by the Evil One to give himself more honor than he is due, and produced and broadcast by those hoping to make a filthy lucre or two off my angst.

And the One saw all of history laid out from end to end from the very first word to the very last wiping every tear from their eyes, when the former things will have passes away, still had time to pause and look up in that sycamore tree and go to Lazarus’ house for tea. And He had time to gather the little children about Him for such are the kingdom of God. He even took naps while the winds and waves crashed. 

Wisdom.

And yesterday I could have rushed to a side table and written my 1000 word reflection on the day’s large group meeting, the small group meeting and the 591 classroom discussion, but I didn’t.

I hitched myself up on a tall stool next to four of the high school students. And we talked about fear and writing and what books they were reading this summer and isn’t it crazy to think that is some very big ways these three weeks could change the rest of our lives. And they asked if I was going on the Mall Crawl Tour in the hot Tucson sun and I said, “Yep,” and they were glad.

And yesterday somehow an old devotional from last year was at the top of my page… and it reminded me about my first and second and third grade teacher Mrs. Hahn with the golden hair twisted up into a bun who read Call of the Wild with me, just the two of us, and I never have forgotten it.

And dear LORD, Let Your lovingkindness be my comfort, as You have promised to your servant. Let Your compassion come to me, that I may live, for Your law is my delight.


That I may truly live.

No comments:

Post a Comment