Saturday, July 26, 2014

I especially remember piling up on the couch in front of the fireplace and begging for one more chapter

You are my hope, O Lord GOD, my confidence since I was young. Psalm 71:5

Know this, the LORD himself is God; He himself has made us, and we are His; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Psalm 100:2

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-12

Almighty God, the fountain of all wisdom, you know my necessities before I ask and my ignorance in asking: Have compassion on my weakness, and mercifully give me those things which for my unworthiness I dare not, and for my blindness I cannot ask; through the worthiness of your Son Jesus Christ my Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

So this week I am doing Potter’s Wheel, an intensive five-day workshop exploring who we are as image bearers, how the Fall has distorted the image in us, and what we can do about it. Very intensive.

And, well, we spend a lot of time reflecting on our story and the decisions we made and how that impacts how we now live and how we see God, ourselves, and others. And how we can walk into utter dependence on the LORD God who unconditionally loves us and has called us according to His purpose. And all of this reflection has made me very grateful for my childhood, for my parents and brothers and sister, and the goodness woven into our life. And perhaps there was a bit of “quitcher bellyachin’” as we cinched up our hip belts and headed up the steep mountain of life, but we were together and the vistas were stunningly beautiful.

And one can never forget the prayer of our mother for each of her children as she and dad knelt by their bed every single night to pray: May they love You, Father God, and may they lead interesting lives.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment