Sunday, August 17, 2014

The world I have known is lost in shadow

I wait for the LORD; my soul waits for Him; in His word is my hope. Psalm 130:4

Jesus taught us, saying: ‘Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. Everyone who asks receives; everyone who searches finds; everyone who knocks will have the door opened. Is there anyone among you who would hand his son a stone when he asked for bread? Or would hand him a snake when he asked for fish? If you, then, evil as you are, know how to give your children what is good, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him!’ Matthew 7:7–11

I wait for the LORD; my soul waits for Him; in His word is my hope. Psalm 130:4

Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul? and why are you so disquieted within me? Put your trust in God; for I will yet give thanks to Him, who is the help of my countenance, and my God. Psalm 43:6

Every part of me wanted to weep throughout the whole of Les Misérables last night. And it was not so much that the Tucson community presentation at the Arizona School of the Deaf and Blind was so brilliant or gripping. But the story is, such is the lot of mankind. The injustice. The heartbreak. The isolation created by the lies each of us believes. We are the miserable. The miserable masses doing our time, breaking the rock set before us.

And yet there was one steady shining light. A quiet light, gently going about his own business. His business of extending the grace of God to an aching world. Undeserved. But offered because He calls all men unto Himself.

For this He came into the world, to not only save us from each other, but from ourselves.

And He gives freely to each who asks. Not because we are good. But because He is good and we are His children.

And a thundering rain greeting me this morning before morning began to streak the skies, lightening bolts blasted across the skies. And it rains on both the just and the unjust because He is our merciful God. A merciful God who beckoned even Javert, the self-righteous accuser to come unto Him, and I will give you rest. But he could not release his self because he was deaf and blind.

Dear Father Who Is in Heaven, I am asking.

And yet another double rainbow arched over the Benedictine Sanctuary as I climbed the stairs.


Dear Father Who is in Heaven, what am I asking?

No comments:

Post a Comment