Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The most winsome of beings

Grace and peace to you from God the Father and from our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to the will of our God and Father gave Himself for our sins and thereby rescued us from the present evil world-order. To Him be glory for ever and ever! Galatians 1:3-5

For under the Law I “died,” and now I am dead to the Law’s demands so that I may live for God. I refuse to stultify the grace of God by reverting to the Law. For if by righteousness were possible under the Law then Christ died for nothing. Galatians 1:12

The truth is that God is the most winsome of beings and His service is one of unspeakable pleasure. Unfortunately many Christians cannot get free from their perverted notions of God, and these notions poison their hearts and destroy their inward freedom These friends serve God grimly, as the elder brother did, doing what is right without enthusiasm and without joy. A. W. Tozer

Wow. Rescued for the present evil world-order, past tense.  “Stultify” is one of those archaic words that Phillips thought just perfect for how the elder brother inside of me often treats the grace of God and it means to drain of energy, enthusiasm, or pleasure. 

Let me welcome the grace and peace of God today, Who longs that my life be one of no demands, only unspeakable pleasure lived out in freedom.


I will listen to what the LORD God is saying, for He is speaking peace to His faithful people and to those who turn their hearts to Him. Psalm 85:1

No comments:

Post a Comment