Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Figs are not gathered from thornbushes.

The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” Psalm 14:1

But as for me, this is my prayer to You, at the time you have set, O LORD: “In your great mercy, O God, answer me with your unfailing help. Save me from the mire; do not let me sink; let me be rescued from those who hate me and out of the deep waters. Answer me, O LORD, for your love is kind; in your great compassion, turn to me.” Psalm 69:14–18

Through the marvels of Facebook someone piled onto a friend’s page, along the lines of JESUS SCUMBAG CHRIST AND HIS BLOODSHED MONGERING FATHER ARE THE LOWEST WRETCHED SCUM PUKE FOUL PIECES OF FAIRYTALE TO BE CONJURED BY CRAZY LUNATIC SCUMBAG SCHIZO DELUSIONAL FREAKS, with all of the cuss words pulled out, but not all of the profanity, in the purest sense of the word.

And wow, this guy seems to fit the parts of the Sermon on the Mount we were reading together last night, about not giving dogs what is holy and casting pearls before swine. John Stott says sometimes we just have to draw the line. 

But actually my heart is filled with tenderness for this black metal music guy. And I figure God is big enough to have people shake a verbal fist at him. Even as they spat on and cursed Him, He lifted up His arms in love.

Where did He draw the line?

Pretty much He draws the line at the folks with planks in their eyes trying to extract splinters.

And really the question the Spirit is asking me, I who am without excuse, I who know The Word, do I live like there is a God? Breathe in, breathe out, do I live His presence in my life? Do I live His love is kind and His great compassion turned outward? Because, as Jesus went on to say, from the treasure of our heart, comes our fruit. What do I say what I believe by what I do?

“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? 

Be the sons of the Most High, for He is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.


So be it.



No comments:

Post a Comment