Monday, March 16, 2015

But she out of her poverty has put in everything she had.



Call to Worship But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in Him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:21-26

Contemplation Lent is a season of sorrow. More than usual, we are aware of the frail and fallen condition of our world, and certainly in our own body and soul. Our reflection during this season stirs a deep sense that something is wrong. Something greater than just our individual sin, it is the pervasive deep wounds of sin.

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Not only does God hear and understand our pain, He is especially inclined toward those who are hurting. I often think that being a Christian means I must always be happy in God, sweeping my grief under the rug of God’s sovereignty. Yet, God desires to enter into my pain: The Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Lament is about casting my anxieties upon God, and trusting Him with them. Because lament is a form of prayer, lament transforms my cries into worship. To lament is to be utterly honest before a God whom my faith tells me I can trust. 
Biblical lament affirms that suffering is real and spiritually significant, but not hopeless. In His mercy, my God has given me a form of language that bends His ear and pulls His heart. 


Ah, the Spirit Who guides within. I awoke this morning with such a profound ache I could scarcely breathe, yet He already knew His words were waiting to comfort me with His steadfast mercies.

And Matteo posted a google picture yesterday that speaks peace to my heart as I wait quietly for His mighty hand.  

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want.

No comments:

Post a Comment