Monday, October 2, 2017

Steadfast.

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. James 1:2-5

Our goal, therefore, is to learn: to learn the curriculum of a truly spiritual life . . . grounded in love, mercy, tenderness, compassion, forgiveness, hope, trust, simplicity, silence, peace, and joy. To embody union with God is to discover these beautiful characteristics emerging from within and slowly transfiguring us to remake us in the very image and likeness of God. —Carl McColman

As I settle into this gift of a week of quiet beauty and solitude in Freiberg, Germany, I am pondering in my own heart on the cozy bed where I am recovering from The Gunk. The attic window overlooks fall-tinted rising hills with dollops of morning fog. Church bells ring out the hours all night long. Taize music chants in the background, and I just finished my second cup of Early Grey tea.



Steadfastness.

Let it have its full effect.

Steadfast in love. In mercy. In tenderness. In compassion. In forgiveness.

Let me ask of My Father, who gives generously and without reproach.

As I reflect on the Narrative of my life thus far, how can I not be but overwhelmed with gratitude at His heaped up generosity and goodness? Although I have stumbled again and again, He has picked me up, embraced me, brushed off the dust and set me on the new day’s path, right by His side.


Alleluia, Alleluia.



No comments:

Post a Comment