Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Que toca mi corazón.

Joy in the Spirit
Come, Lord and open in us
The gates ever wide

Yesterday one of the kindergarten teachers was out with a head cold and the last line of my unofficial job description is “Anything else that needs to be done,” so I found myself in the kinder class because there is a special kid in the class that no regular sub could possibly handle but I can because he spends a lot of time sitting with me in my little closet of an office and we are special buddies because we both really like dinosaurs, well, at least he really likes dinosaurs and I can read stories about them and download coloring sheets full of them off of the internet. Anyways, we plugged through the stacks of neatly sticky-noted and paper-clipped handouts on following directions and less or more and I read a book about two mice who fell in love with the same pumpkin and so they both watered it a lot and piled manure on it, and the kids were horrified to discover that manure is a fancy word for cow poop and that’s what plants eat and so we must wash our vegetables and fruit before we eat them and then the art teacher came in and we made reindeer heads out of construction paper and googly eyes and of course great big red jewels for a nose and then, well, I still had another twenty minutes with twenty-six squirmy five-year-olds, so we did a little Simón Dice. I know only a crazy person would plunge into Spanish at 2:20 in the afternoon on the last week before winter break, but such is life.

And as we stood there, smiling and a little out of breath and pretty dang proud of ourselves a little one came up and hugged my neck and whispered, “I will miss you Mz. Christy,” and then another and another and another, little lemmings that they are, and suddenly all twenty-seven of us were in the biggest and happiest group hug ever.

Come, Lord Jesus.



No comments:

Post a Comment