Saturday, July 7, 2018

Sometimes the draping drags into the gutter mud a bit.


Delight thyself also in the Lord: and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass. Psalm 37: 4-5

Then Gideon said to God, “Let not your anger burn against me; let me speak just once more. Please let me test just once more with the fleece. Please let it be dry on the fleece only, and on all the ground let there be dew.” And God did so that night; and it was dry on the fleece only, and on all the ground there was dew. Judges 6:39-40

I walk out in the street full of Moros, and if my soul is as full of God as it sometimes is, I see what happens as I look into their eyes and pray for them. No man need try to persuade me that God does not reach them, for I see the thing happen, and now I know that every person we ever meet is God’s opportunity, if only, if only we were not so much of the time shut off from God. -Letters from a Modern Mystic, Frank Laubach

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Lord God, some of us still ask for signs to know where You call us to go and who You desire to become. Be merciful and reveal Yourself to us in manageable ways, just enough to see us through today. Amen.
So yesterday, after I read through the Unit Plans Thus Far and designed a new Daily Lesson Planner and completed the rough drafts of eight final teacher assessments and put together today’s PowerPoint lesson, I had a little bit more time before we headed out for our last round of shawarma, waiting for the bulk of the day’s heat to pass.

We are starting to do “for the last time” events as we begin our fourth week in Erbil.

For the last time at the coffee joint.

And I filled out the MCC End of Term Report for Short-Term Overseas Placement which means that sometimes I sat still before the keyboard, staring at my thoughts.

What were the most valuable or satisfying aspects of this assignment?
What were the most difficult or challenging parts of this assignment?
What suggestions do you have for revision of this assignment for anyone coming in the future?
And
then the future question.

I am starting to add events to the calendar on my iPhone. Living Streets Alliance “Rethinking Streets” Dialogue. Community Justice Board Mental Health First Aid Course. TUSD New Teacher In-Service at Santa Rita High School for four days. Really.

And me and my friend Gideon have walked this path before. But this time, because I am in King James English, there is a new idea here: But the Spirit of the Lord clothed Gideon.

May I be draped in Your presence.

One of the master teacher-initiated questions Jesus asks me is What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee?

And then I answer in Bartimaeus the blind beggar fashion: Lord, that I may receive my sight. Some versions read: That I might recover my sight. That somehow through circumstances or failings the vision has withered and died.

And then there is silence. And clarification.

What do you want to see?

What are the desires of your heart?

I want to see Jesus. In every single look. Even In the downcast glance.

And immediately (s)he received his sight, and followed Him, glorifying God: and all the people, when they saw it, gave praise unto God.

Selah.

No comments:

Post a Comment