Sunday, January 20, 2013


I waited patiently for the Lord;
And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry.

He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.

He has put a new song in my mouth—
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the Lord. Psalm 40:1-3

So what does a new song sound like? 

I awoke with a start at the same old same old too early predawn. Comfortably warm with no need to bound up and out into a swim parka.  Recalling a brief conversation from the evening before and a steady voice of instruction to pray.  So I did.  And another.  And another.  Life by life, name by name, this voice spoke. In peace, but with urgency.  

Lucy woke out of the deepest sleep you can imagine, with the feeling that the voice she liked best in the world had been calling her name. -Prince Caspian, C. S. Lewis

Sort of like that.  

I had heard this voice earlier last night during the flickering candlelit Be Thou My Vision, to pray Holy Spirit speak through me.  A strange little prayer, but word for word.  And even though I knew that I was supposed to go write it down and put it in the prayer basket and I didn’t, how does prayer work anyways?  And prayer baskets?

I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart;
I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation;
I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth
From the great assembly.

Is this the new song? 

Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
Then I said, “Behold, I come.

“Will the others see you too?" asked Lucy.
"Certainly not at first," said Aslan. "Later on, it depends."
"But they won’t believe me!" said Lucy.
"It doesn’t matter.” Prince Caspian, C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment