Monday, May 13, 2013

So much is better left unsaid


Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head. Psalm 141:5

Drats.  I am not looking forward to this day.  It feels entirely likely that it will be full of reproof, and that God is preparing me, reminding me to welcome the kind words of correction.

Ah, this reminds me of my introduction for the team to the accreditation process: 
Remove impurities from the silver
    and the silversmith can craft a fine chalice;
Don’t jump to conclusions—there may be
    a perfectly good explanation for what you just saw. 
 The right word at the right time
    is like a custom-made piece of jewelry,
And a wise friend’s timely reprimand
    is like a gold ring slipped on your finger.
Patient persistence pierces through indifference;
    gentle speech breaks down rigid defenses.
Psalm 25

So be it.

Really.  I am very aware that I am in process.  

Lord, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee. Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.

I talk too much in a bull-in-a-china-shop sort of way.  And what I long for more than anything is to bring healing and peace, and not smunch painfully into tender spots.  So much is better left unsaid.  

I want to be like Jesus. He who did not break a bruised reed, and He did not put out a smoldering wick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment