Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Even in a desolate place

When he went ashore He saw a great crowd, and He had compassion on them and healed their sick. Now when it was evening, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a desolate place, and the day is now over; send the crowds away to go into the villages and buy food for themselves.” But Jesus said,“They need not go away; you give them something to eat.” Matthew 14:14-15

He had compassion on them all, the entire great crowd.  No matter what the circumstances, the choices, the attitudes or expectations.  He had compassion, because He knows of what we are made of, dust.  And He fed each and every one.  Each one was ordered to sit down and be served. And all were satisfied. And there were abundant leftovers.  

They need not go away, you give them something to eat, each and every one.

As I head out into my day, I too am going out into a great crowd.  And sadly, I am just beginning to put names to the faces, to the eyes.  And I am just beginning to hear stories. And just beginning to detect strengths and weaknesses and passions and not.  But that really doesn’t matter.  
It’s not about them.  He will feed them all. It’s not about me. My resources are paltry in facing the crowd. Two fishes and five loaves. 

It’s all about Jesus.

Then he broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds. And they all ate and were satisfied.

And so today, Lord Jesus, I bring you my little basket. Almost empty.  And in the words of the Burning Man prophet, fill her up.


May I too weep tears of joy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment