Monday, September 23, 2013

He tells me I am His own

But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hinderance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.” Matthew 16:23

...that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. 
1 Corinthians 2:5

Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you. 1 Timothy 1:13

Yesterday I went to the Upper Room for pounding worship, Price Club pizza and a good word from Hector.  He reminded us that in the Garden, Eve and Adam plucked from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, choosing the wisdom of man over relationship and faith in God to provide every good thing.  

And as Jesus turned his face resolutely towards Jerusalem, Peter his friend was only being reasonable.

But it was that same sly whispering as that which tripped up man so very long ago... that you might become like God. 

Our Friday night community group noticed that doctrine isn’t about airtight parsing and culturally correct prepositions, but rather the Holy Spirit is He who wields the Sword guided by faith and love.  These are what remains, and the greatest of these is love.  

And I want to be smart. And sensible. And knowledgable.  But when it gets right down to it, often that looks a lot like elbow-shoving my way back onto the throne of my heart.  

And over at the Vineyard, the teacher was whipping out slightly dated by nevertheless eye-popping Barna Group statistics about the abysmal biblical worldview of Americans, even self-described born agains.  Which is distressing, until one remembers James' admonition that even the demons have perfect worldview, and what does it matter? Nothing. Without fruit. And the Barna Group came out with some more recent statistics on that one, and once again the Christians flop, talking and acting like Pharisees, rather than like Jesus.  And actually, the less orthodox folk seem to act more like Jesus, while the dot and tittle guys stepped back into the shadows muttering into their beards that at least I am not like that sinner.  

So today, this week as I step out, let me choose to listen for the LORD God in the cool of the day, seeking me.  Seeking me with all His love. To set my mind on the things of God rather than to spin out of control into the tangled webs of with the thoughts of man. 


Don’t let Satan whiff it out.  I’m going to let it shine, let it shine, let it shine. This little light of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment