Friday, July 4, 2014

Grapes are not picked from a bramble bush

¿Y por qué me llamáis: “Señor, Señor”, y no hacéis lo que yo digo? Todo el que viene a mí y oye mis palabras y las pone en práctica, os mostraré a quién es semejante:es semejante a un hombre que al edificar una casa, cavó hondo y echó cimiento sobre la roca; y cuando vino una inundación, el torrente dio con fuerza contra aquella casa, pero no pudo moverla porque había sido bien construida. Pero el que ha oído y no ha hecho nada, es semejante a un hombre que edificó una casa sobre tierra, sin echar cimiento; y el torrente dio con fuerza contra ella y al instante se desplomó, y fue grande la ruina de aquella casa. Lucas 6, 46-49

Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?  Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like:  he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.” Luke 6:46-49

Jesus is very clear about what He is telling me. He very clearly said and then demonstrated that it is not about following the Law, which filled the Pharisees with fury and they began to plot His death. Rather it is about doing good, producing good fruit borne from the good treasure of our hearts. Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

By my fruits I shall be known.

The Most High is kind to the ungrateful and the evil, and He is merciful. I am His child, may I have ears to hear.  I am to love my enemies, to do good to those who hate me, bless those who curse me, and pray for those who abuse me. If someone strikes me, I am to allow him to strike again. If he steals my coat, I am to let him take my shirt as well. I am to give to all who beg of me, and if someone takes my stuff, I am not to ask for it back.

Nor am I to judge others. I need take care about the plank in my own eye, and let God take care of the rest. I am not to condemn. I am to forgive. Give and it will be given to me, heaping and overflowing.

And, like many others today, I reread the Declaration of Independence. The spelling out of the collective understanding of the Founders of the United States: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among them are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. 

This too is clear. All men.

And He lifted up his eyes on his disciples and asked, Why do you call me, “Lord, Lord, and do not do what I tell you?

No comments:

Post a Comment