Saturday, September 6, 2014

But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder.



My spirit faints within me; my heart within me is desolate. I remember the time past; I muse upon all your deeds; I consider the works of your hands. I spread out my hands to you; my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land. O LORD, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me; do not hide your face from me or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit. Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning, for I put my trust in you; show me the road that I must walk, for I lift up my soul to you. . . . Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God; let your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Revive me, O LORD, for your Name’s sake; for your righteousness’ sake, bring me out of trouble. Psalm 145

Jesus taught us, saying: ‘My food is to do the will of the one who sent Me, and to complete His work. John 4:34

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be your Name. May your kingdom come, and your will be done, on earth as in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil; for yours are the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD. Psalm 96:1

I certainly do not feel the most sturdy of pilgrims. I absolutely get the “give us our daily bread” bit. Every morning I head into The Book with a very empty basket to be filled. But I take comfort in the lives of the Psalmist and Elijah and Moses and even Jacob who wrestled until the wee hours, refusing to let go until he received a blessing.

And Alan is excited about a new version of Godspelll that is filling his days with music.
Day by day, day by day
Oh dear Lord, three things I pray
To see Thee more clearly
To love Thee more dearly
To follow Thee more nearly
Day by day

And every single day, this can be a new song.

May my bread be to do the will of God. In the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, at the Island of the Star, each day there is a new feast, just for that day, and that day alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment