Friday, July 3, 2015

And on the outside, nothing seems to have changed except now Jon has a vegetable garden and Dan and Witt's has softserve ice cream.


YAHWEH looks down from heaven, He sees the whole human race; From where He sits He watches all who live on the earth, He who molds every heart and takes note of all that men do. Psalm 33:13-14

For He Himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in His flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that He might create in Himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility. Ephesians 2:14-18

It’s time for the world to see a Church who can keep her love on. It’s time for the sons and daughters of God to mature into a company of powerful people who know how to walk in freedom, practice intimacy and vulnerability, clean up our messes, and invite people around us to become powerful, free lovers. It’s time for those who bear the Name of Jesus to become famous for carrying His huge heart—that absolutely fearless heart of love that pursues connection with broken sinners. This is how the world will know we know Him. Danny Silk. Keep Your Love On.

Why is it so difficult to be still and quiet and let God speak to me about the meaning of my life? Is it because I don’t trust God? Is t because I don’t know Go? Is it because I wonder if God really is there for me? Is it because I a afraid of God? Is it because everything else is more real for me than God? Is it because, deep down, I do not believe that God cares what happens at the corner of (Broadway and Country Club)?

Still there is a voice – right there, in (almost) downtown (Tucson), “Come to me, you who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.”

Can I trust that voice and follow it? It is not a very loud voice, and often it is drowned out by the clamor of the inner city. Still, when I listen attentively, I will hear that voice again and again and come to recognize it as the voice speaking to the deepest place of my heart. Henri Nouwen, Here and Now

Alternative consciousness is largely letting go of my mind's need to solve problems, to fix people, to fix myself, to rearrange the moment because it is not to my liking. When that mind goes, another, non-dualistic mind is already there waiting. We realize it is actually our natural way of seeing. It's the way we thought as children before we started judging and analyzing and distinguishing things one from another. As Helen Luke says, "The coming to consciousness is not a discovery of some new thing; it is a long and painful return to that which has always been." Richard Rohr (sent by Brandon Coverdale)



So I woke up this morning in one of my two favorite beds in the world, the tree house fort in Norwich, Vermont. The other being in the House Beautiful in Wheat Ridge, Colorado.

And though it might be a little difficult to believe for those who could not understand my boarding yet another plane and heading in the opposite direction with barely time to run a load of laundry and pay a few water and gas bills, it was a lovely series of flights to the green and rather damp northeast.

I read and reread Danny Silk’s Put Your Love On. And my nifty iVersion lets me underline in seven different colors and add any number of notes and excerpts and cut and pastes. But mostly I want to carve its truths into my heart, seeds from which will spring fruitfulness. Of what it means to be a powerful person. Resting in His joyous freedom and living in His love. Like Him, relentlessly pursuing reconciliation with outstretched arms.

And it is very clear that any place in my thoughts for accusations and judgments and condemnation forms a nice sturdy foothold for the Evil One, from which he can fire his darts, his lies from the pit of hell. He is The Accuser. He is the hissing Whisperer. He knows not mercy nor grace nor forgiveness of trespasses as we have been forgiven our trespasses.

And this foothold leads to double-mindedness, tossing like a storm-driven sea, smashing against those other beloveds of our Father.

And I know that those who love me have seen the storm and broken flotsam and jetsom lying about the beach. And yearned for His stillness for me, His beloved.

Because singlemindness leads to what Richard Rohr describes as having simple clear eyes, common-sense faith, a combination of humility and quiet confidence, and a loving energy that makes whatever you say quite compelling. It also allows you to deal with complex issues with this same simplicity and forthrightness.

And yesterday Nicole sent me a picture.



And she sent it to remind me that He is gentle and humble in heart as He leads me into rest. As I abandon the hefty chains of my own fashioning, and rather shoulder His yoke and learn from Him.

For He himself is our peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment