Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The steady rhythm of the surf.

God be merciful and gracious to us and bless us and cause His face to shine upon us and among us—Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!—That Your way may be known upon earth, Your saving power (Your deliverances and Your salvation) among all nations. Psalm 67:1-2

Jesus taught us, saying: ‘I give you a new commandment: love one another; you must love one another just as I have loved you. It is by your love for one another, that everyone will recognize you as my disciples.’ John 13:34–35

And so the people sang, with stringed instruments this prayer to the merciful and gracious God, shine Your face upon us and among us that Your way may be known upon earth.

And God, the merciful and gracious God, so loved this world that He sent His only beloved Son, Jesus, who taught us saying, “Love one another. You must love one another, just as I have loved you.”

This the way of God that was known upon earth.

And I walked down Newport Beach this morning. There really isn’t a dawn on the coast of Southern California but rather a seamless and solid bright white light across the sky. And it was just me and the surfers in their black shiny seal suits crashing through the waves.

Walking. And yes I picked up a few pieces of trash because I am my father’s daughter. And thinking of Jesus and how He loved.

And he didn’t protect or explain himself as he stood silently before Pilate. Even to himself, inside his head with defensive conversations. He could have told that old Pilate a thing or two, but He didn’t.

And He reached out to Zacchaeus hiding in the tree, and invited him to join him. Guess what. Zacchaeus’s name means pure and innocent in Hebrew. And only Jesus could see him, who he really was.

And as they spat at Him, He asked His Father to forgive them for they knew not what they were doing. Because He did not come to condemn the world, but that the world, through Him, might be saved.

And again and again, Jesus stopped and looked and invited, “Come and follow me.” And when He broke the bread loaves and the two fishes to feed the hungry crowds, after giving thanks He gave them to His followers to serve. And all were satisfied.

So as Nicole and I drive the rumbling Uncle Ted Cadillac across salt flats and up along Highway One to San Francisco I intend to continue this conversation with Jesus. How have You loved me?




That I might love, just as You have loved me.


And in all I do direct me to the fulfilling of Your purpose; through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment