Friday, August 21, 2015

And all I really had to do is stand up straight, look her in the eye and say, "No."

For God alone my soul in silence waits; truly, my hope is in Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken. In God is my safety and my honor; God is my strong rock and my refuge. Psalm 62:6–8


When Jesus was at dinner in his [Matthew’s] house, a number of tax collectors and sinners were also sitting at the table with Jesus and his disciples; for there were many of them among his followers. When the scribes of the Pharisee party saw him eating with sinners and tax collectors, they said to his disciples, ‘Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?’ When Jesus heard this he said to them, ‘It is not the healthy who need the doctor, but the sick. I did not come to call the upright, but sinners.’ Mark 2:15–17

…You’ll laugh a bit like it all doesn’t matter, or least doesn’t hurt, and there will be broken eggshells left on the counter and broken promises left after the fact and the real, exposed truth of it is, after it’s all said and done? Is that under it all, we’re right broken.
No one knows but you do war every single day with the slanderous voices in your head and you wrestle a bit with the death dark that encroaches around the edges of everything and you’re never the only one: anyone who gets up has to push back the dark.
I’m standing there in front of the mirror.
Standing there, looking right into me and the abyss of the mess of me that I’ll never get all right. And it comes down to this:
Christianity is the only hope for this broken world because there’s no other way for the broken to get the nails they need to rebuild.
That’s what this week needs, that’s all this week needs most:
More than needing schedules and productivity, this week will need a Savior and a prayer.
God’s not asking me to produce — He’s asking me to pray.
God’s not asking me to climb ladders — He’s asking me to kneel and let go. –Ann Voskamp
So today part of my lesson plan on scientists includes a story from my middle school when I stood up (rather inadvertently) to a bully who shoved and taunted me every single day on the way home from school.  Because pretty much I am one who caves into bullies. If someone acts angry or disgusted or disappointed I will cower quickly. Which is not the way to go. And the point of my story is going to be that scientists, world-changers, have certain characteristics like courage and creativity and a desire for truth.
And today, Lord, let me remember the truth that You came to seek and to save those who were lost. Which is every single one of us.
My hope is in You.
And no one else.
Especially me.
And You are my courage. You are my creativity. You are the Truth. The Way, The Truth and The Life.

Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment