Friday, December 16, 2016

He is not a tame lion.

O Thou Desire of all nations, in the knowledge of whose love and power there is salvation for all the peoples of the earth, hasten the day, I beseech Thee, when all men shall acknowledge Thee as Lord over all. Hasten the day when our earthly society shall become the kingdom of Christ. –John Baillie

Because you have kept my commandment to persevere, I will keep you safe in the time of trial which is coming for the whole world, to put the people of the world to the test. Revelation 3:10

Safe? What is safe?

I am pretty sure that God defines His terms a little differently. It’s that long-view perspective thing again.

I think about all of His “special” friends through the ages and man, there are a lot of lion dens, jail cells, shipwrecks and refugee stories. There are no promises of cushy pillows and cups of tea by the fireplace while the storm crashes outside.

In fact there are lots of other promises about hardships and suffering and persecution.

But in the midst of the trials there is this promise of safety, tucked away in His bosom, strengthening and rest for our souls. And even this talk of rejoicing, that we may be overjoyed at the revelation of His glory.

Count is all joy.

And since I claim to abide in Him, I must walk as He walked, into the Madding Crowd, into the demands and pushing and shoving and tears and fears and complaints and accusations and let the list go on.

Joy.

For the joy set before Him.

I will follow.

Give me O God, this day a strong and vivid sense that Thou art by my side. In multitude and solitude, may I ever be aware of Thine accompanying presence. And whatever I myself can do, give me grace this day to begin; through Jesus Christ. Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment