Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Asking in My name


“Jesus looked toward heaven and prayed,"Father, the time has come. Give glory to your Son so that the Son can give glory to you.” John 17:1

“Having finished the work you gave me to do, I brought you glory on earth.”  John 17:4

“I have given these people the glory that You gave me so that they can be one, just as You and I are one. I will be in them and You will be in me so that they will be completely one. Then the world will know that You sent me and that You loved them just as much as You loved me.”  John 17:22-23

That He may be glorified.

So a few days back, I asked what does it mean to ask for something in the name of Jesus.  And this is what Jesus was all about.  The point of Him and everything that He did and said and thought.  That the Father may be glorified.

Glorifying the Father is truth-telling.  It is not about some huge mega-ego trip.  It is declaring what is.

It is peeling away all the brokenness and confusion and declaring, “Hallowed be Thy name.  Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”

And it is living in the truth that He loves me.  And this is how we pray.  Ask that you may receive, that your joy may be full.

And as I wander through my prayer list, I can whisper after each name, “May He be glorified.”

And through my day, as I weigh decisions, or, not-so-weigh decisions, and react. May He be glorified.

And the pause before I blurt out yet one more thing. May He be glorified.

His glory is my joy.

In Jesus’ name, may He be glorified.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment