Thursday, August 2, 2012

Curling up with my bowl of beans


Let not your hearts be troubled.  John 14:1

And next to him was Shammah, the son of Agee the Hararite. The Philistines gathered together at Lehi, where there was a plot of ground full of lentils, and the men fled from the Philistines. But he took his stand in the midst of the plot and defended it and struck down the Philistines, and the Lord worked a great victory.  2 Samuel 23:11-12

Take a stand.  And the LORD will do His work.  

We probably looked more than a little out of place, but everyone pretended not to notice the old people, me and my parents, in the Elevate Youth Church at Victory last night.  And it was okay if my dad fell asleep sometimes during the service no matter how loudly the drummer pounded, how high the kids jumped, and how brightly the swirling lights reflected in a million sparks.  Because everyone was wholeheartedly focused on one thing, worshipping the Glorious One.  

And I wish I could remember more of the message about mighty men of valor.  And being more than a conquerer and the great illustration of receiving the bounty from the hand of the conquerer, who does the actual fighting.  And surrendering to His dream.  

But I do remember that my calling is to take a stand in the field.  And He will do His work.  

And I need to own this field.  Even if it is just a bunch of lentil bushes.  And if I don’t own it in the depths of my heart, ask Him to fill me with love and passion to where He has placed me in this moment.  In the midst of it all, to stand firm.  

And once again the weight was lifted.  And once again, yet once again, I hear His voice: ‘Come to me, all you who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.’

No comments:

Post a Comment