Sunday, September 30, 2012

For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat


But the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?” And the man in whom was the evil spirit leaped on them, mastered all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. And fear fell upon them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was extolled.  Acts 19:15-17

A lot of ugly stuff is done in the name of the Lord Jesus, that’s for sure.  We sure don’t take the third commandment very seriously, and I think that it has a lot more depth than forbidding the occasional explosive expletive when one’s finger is smashed.  

I suspect that this has a lot more to do with salt that has lost its flavor.  No longer valuable for enriching the savorless or preserving goodness and wholeness or cleansing open, aching wounds, it is worthless, and should be thrown underfoot.  

Jesus spent a lot of time reaching out to the outcast lepers and the hopeless water drawers and curious tree-climbers, but he had little patience for those who muttered, “Thank God I am not like those” in their prayers.  He warned, “Once the master of the house has got up and locked the door, you may find yourself standing outside knocking on the door, saying, “Lord, open to us,” but he will answer, “I do not know where you come from.” Then you will start saying, “We once ate and drank in your company; you taught in our streets,” but he will reply, “I do not know where you come from. Away from me, all evil doers!”

With fear and trembling, re: humility, we name-bearers need to stay untangled from the madding crowd, such as the confused city of Ephesus, with some crying out one thing, some another, for the assembly was in confusion, and most of them did not know why they had come together.

The dividing line between the sheep and goats is pretty clear, if we keep a sharp lookout.  May the name of the Lord Jesus be extolled above all.   

No comments:

Post a Comment