Wednesday, September 19, 2012

And the chains fell off


Recognizing Peter's voice, her joy she did not open the gate but ran in and reported that Peter was standing at the gate. They said to her, “You are out of your mind.” Acts 12:14

So I am a checklist person.  And one of the many parts of my life that are all tidily organized is my “fixed prayers” list.  Really.  That is its little label on my laptop, where I click every morning.  And it is entirely possible that I could get so fixed on my prayers that I might not even notice when the answer to my prayer is outside pounding on the door.  

Some of these names hopped on my list a long time ago.  I remember one Thursday afternoon when a student came to my classroom door, peered in and said, “Mrs. Voelkel, I need prayer.”  We prayed, and I added him to my Thursday list.  Goodness, that was seven, eight, nine... I do not know how many years ago.  And last week, he was casting his version of Romeo and Juliet in a beautiful place, both literally and figuratively.  I need to pause and be amazed.  And praise our Faithful God.  

Last night Alan and I Skyped with another name on the fixed prayer list.  And I cannot even begin to explain the joy that bubbled up in both of our hearts as we savored the wisdom and grace and beauty of this life, and the journey he has led.  Stand back and be amazed.  

Or the hearfelt prayers about wings of eagles as Nicole headed out last night in her little beater banged up car to cross a long desert all by herself.  And she will never forget the feeling of flying through the night in an ocean of stars, cresting over desert mountains & plains, just the rushing sound of the road beside me.

And Ali is meeting with his father in Canada next week to help him arrange his emigration, on his way to the Foreign Desk at CBS in New York City.  Ali, who arrived for an after-church lunch at Pollo Feliz so very long ago.  

And the requests come pell mell: fill their home with joy and tenderness, strengthen her resolve, quicken the Spirit within, be the fire in his soul, stir them up and unsettle them.  And another one of those around-the-water-jug discussions yesterday at work with Sue, on both the beauty and strength of liturgy and disciplines that can sometimes slide into stale emptiness.  No place for the sword piercing spirit and soul.    

Thus oh LORD, I will continue to gather myself and pray, but please quicken my ear to the tapping from the outside alleyway ....and don’t forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this you will experience God’s peace which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment