Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Another plate of veggies, please


But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the king's food, or with the wine that he drank.  Daniel 1:8

There are ever-so-many ways to dirty ourselves up- whether it be the food we eat, the activities with which we occupy our time or thoughts or the garbage-in, garbage out aspect of our mind.  To stray into off-trails and brambles of life.  Rather, what brings honor and glory to God?  That’s the bottom line, throughout the day, over and over.

Not only did Daniel make the initial decision, but he followed through. Even when he was hungry and the sweet and savory flavors drifting past his nostrils.  And weary after a long hard day packing in all the literature and wisdom of Babylon.  Lots of small decisions, over and over.  What brings honor and glory to God?  That was the bottom line, throughout the day, throughout the night, over and over.

And we all mumble things about grace and forgiveness and second chances and nothing we can do can lessen or deepen His great love for us, which is all true.  We really don’t earn brownie points for our sash to flaunt across our chest.  But the little things do matter.  They matter to me, to who I am becoming, and how I am becoming.  The patterns.  The preparedness.  At the end of the time, in every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king inquired of them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters that were in all his kingdom.

And in what God has placed on my heart, His calling for me, I too want to be faithful.  

Funny, my verse for the day: With my whole heart I seek you; let me not stray from your commandments. Psalm 119:10

No comments:

Post a Comment