Friday, December 14, 2012

It's all about the brand, baby


He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Psalm 23:3 

I am His name-bearer on so many levels. 

Christine.  Little Christ.  Anointed. Follower of Christ.
Christian.  Follower of Christ.
Child of God.  Beloved.

I think the idea goes beyond not embarrassing the name of Jesus, which is certainly a very real possibility, especially in consideration of our very real brokenness.  There is the clear implication of bringing honor and glory to His name, which is a celebratory calling of worship and purpose.

But I also think that it has something to do with sort of logic, “This is my child name-bearer. And how I lead her reflects on my leadership and trustworthiness.  If I am indeed the good shepherd, and she bears my mark, my brand so to speak seared into her very being, I will demonstrate my truth and rightness in the paths where I lead.”  

And when one explores the idea of leadership and followership, the burden is light if the leader is strong.  In sweet followership, I am so close to Him that His light of presence falls upon my path, and we can converse along the way.  Brother Lawrence wrote, “I drove away from my mind everything capable of spoiling the sense of the presence of God.... I just make it my business to persevere in His holy presence...  We ought to act with God in the greatest simplicity, speak to Him frankly and plainly, and implore His assistance in our affairs.”

I suspect that this is very closely tied up with the closing refrain: Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment