Friday, August 16, 2013

Seventy-seven times

Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the Evil One. For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matthew 6:12-14

Actually, if I am simply listening to The Sermon, The Sermon of The One Who Formed Our Hearts, rather than noticing superfluous formatting, this section comes out as one well-developed exposition on the sin that besets each one of us.  Well, at least me.  

Lack of forgiveness runs deep and broad, with many implications.  Lack of forgiveness is the sin that sets me up against Him.  It is me challenging the LORD God, for His position as Judge and Knower of the Complete Story. 

Lack of forgiveness takes hold and twists into the root of bitterness, which poisons the stream of living water which should be flowing freely from me.  This root also takes hold and chokes out the Spirit and His fruit–that of love, joy, peace.  Especially love, love that does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Lack of forgiveness places me under the influence of the Evil One. It means that I have paid heed to his hissing accusations, his pointing finger, giving him place over our Advocate who stands before the Throne with the truth, “For this sin I died.” 


And I remain unforgiven.  Mercy is the practical manifestation of accepting His great gift of redemption.  A truly repentant heart, one that sees clearly the Kingdom at hand, is fixed on Him. My eye is clear and joy is in my step.  He is all that matters, My Lord, my King, my Savior.  

No comments:

Post a Comment