Tuesday, August 13, 2013

His forefeet being tied together he was drowned

And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matthew 6:4

I certainly do not understand the golden crowns thing, the rewards in heaven that apparently we immediately rip off of our head and with great joy throw them down at His feet because we are not worthy.

But I do understand things a little bit better in the here and now.  And I know that there is indeed a great temptation to do good works for the approval of man, so they can all think I am cool and all that.  

In many ways, the approval of man is like golden crowns.  Unwieldy and useless.  A headache, always keeping my eyes peeled trying to keep everyone happy, happy, happy with me. A desperate little hamster on a wheel to nowhere.  

What a better calling to keep my eyes fixed on Him, the author and perfecter of my faith, and absolutely not on Them.  And rather than doing the awkward dance and jiggle of The man, the boy and the donkey in Aesop’s fables trying to keep the nameless masses content, and losing it all,


I can hear the Father whispering in the quiet of my heart, “Well done, beloved child.”

No comments:

Post a Comment