Monday, December 2, 2013

Down the slippery slope

Then they heard the Lord God walking in the garden during the cool part of the day, and the man and his wife hid from the Lord God among the trees in the garden.  But the Lord God called to the man and said, “Where are you?” Genesis 3:8-9

So Saturday I did the Desert Christian Student Leadership hike down Mt. Lemmon from the ranger station thing. And I started off great, keeping up with ol’ Chandler at breakneck speed, which didn’t allow for any purposeful conversation and just a tiny bit of reflection as I very much concentrated on footing and not falling over the boulders. And that reflection was not so very godly or God-honoring sort of turning into a list of things-I-am-not-thankful-for.


But then my wobbly ankles started wobbling in their loose tendon sort of way and I started falling. Like six times. And I entered some netherworld of off-the-charts pain and trying not to fuss but really longing to join Elijah under a little bush somewhere and just die.

And then I heard the LORD God call out, “Where are you?” And maybe I was hiding in the trees, ashamed. But still He sought me, “Where are you?”

And then the LORD God spoke:
I AM in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
I will rejoice over you with gladness;
   I will quiet you by my love.

And much as I was simply called to take one step at a time down the path set before me, I am called to one step at time.

So for tomorrow and its needs 
I do not pray, 
But keep me, guide me, love me, Lord, 
Just for today.

And He from the beginning of time He has held me in His heart. And in His purpose and in His way. And in that I can trust. 

Weston Baker preached his first sermon yesterday, and his closing words echoed what God whispered to me descending from the mountaintop: the key to everything in life is centered in being loved by God. Whether it’s asking: What should I do with my life? Or, Who am I? Or, What is my purpose?

Everything becomes right when I meditate on His unfailing love.

These questions that used to consume me suddenly seem small... and mostly answered.

What should I do with my life?

Rest in My love for you.

Who am I?

You are my beloved child. I am well pleased with you.

What is my purpose?

Be as a branch. I will do the rest.

That is Nicole’s word.


Abide.

No comments:

Post a Comment