Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Not quite sure how dead goats tied to one's forearms could fool anyone.

Jacob answered, “Because the Lord your God helped me to find it.” Genesis 27:20

Then Jacob made a promise. He said, “I want God to be with me and to protect me on this journey. I want him to give me food to eat and clothes to wear so I will be able to return in peace to my father’s house. If the Lord does these things, he will be my God. This stone which I have set up on its end will be the house of God. And I will give God one-tenth of all he gives me.” Genesis 28:20-22

Then Jacob said, “God of my father Abraham! God of my father Isaac! Lord, you told me to return to my country and my family. You said that you would treat me well. Genesis 32:9

The man said to him, “What is your name?”
And he answered, “Jacob.”
Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob. Your name will now be Israel, because you have wrestled with God and with people, and you have won.” Genesis 32:27-28

He bought a part of the field where he had camped from the sons of Hamor father of Shechem for one hundred pieces of silver. He built an altar there and named it after God, the God of Israel. Genesis 33:19-20

There comes that moment. The wrestling with God moment. When He becomes not the LORD God of Abraham, the LORD God of Isaac. The My Lord and my God Thomas moment. The moment of winning.

And the very bleak self-rule twisting and plotting that Gollum-grips Jacob around his throat is loosened. And he steps into the Promise. The I will be Your God Promise.

I remember that moment. They very rock where I was sitting on the grassy quad at Wheaton College under a very moonlit sky when the Memorizing the books of the Bible and the twenty-third psalm and getting a red-letter Bible in front of the whole church God and Bible verses for every letter of the alphabet God and the Joy Bible Camp Sword Drill winner God and the Tennessee Bible Quiz Team God and the Well, when I’m not there to teach Sunday School I will just have Christy lead it because she knows everything God spoke to me. He elbowed His way through my deceptions and deals and details and If you do what I want’s and asked, with His small still voice, Who is LORD?

I sat there on that question for a good solid pause.

I understood the question at last.

And this time, I got the right answer. The real answer. The true answer.

Yep, the Sunday School answer.


The moment of Love winning.




No comments:

Post a Comment